Friday, June 09, 2006

On the WWW, A Prudent Soul Holds On To Their Wallet!

I read this post from Paul Young of Prying1 (Digging a little Deeper) and it says it all - "See a Pop Up? Hold On To Your Wallet."

Paul writes:

"Had a popup appear suddenly as I was surfing Blog Explosion. Earlier I was surfing for funny videos to download and that might have been when I got the cookie. Anyway. Here I am zigzagging through Cyber Space when I'm accosted by a window that claims I can make money simply by filling in my name and email address. Such a deal. They didn't even demand I use my real name. Is this a great country or what?

"Well I right-clicked on the window and clicked on properties to find out who they were before I'd take a chance on giving them a phony name and junk email address. This is how I discovered 'ReferralWare'. I have no problem with people throwing money at me as these folks proposed. Especially for free. BUTTTT!!! - I have a major defect in my emotional well being. I'm a skeptic... - I thought I would perform one more test. What I call the Company Name/Scam Google Test."

For the full "read" (highly recommended) and the results of Paul's experiment, link here.

Normally, I try to add some additional resources -- but since I like this one so much -- it's best left in it's original state.

Prying1 takes a "common sense" approach to dealing with life's woes and it is a site that I frequent on a regular basis.

So far as this (probably semi-legal scam), always remember "If it seems to good to be true, it probably isn't."

1 comment:

prying1 said...

Thanks for the post and link Ted - You are the one that inspires me to be paranoid.

So you go ahead and take a bow.